Crazy Chickens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SilverPhoenix, Jan 12, 2010.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Many of us have had them--the crazy chickens, whose behavior makes no logical sense and baffles us and makes us laugh. Share the stories about your crazy birds here!

My craziest chicken story is that of The Salula. I think she's a d'Uccle/silkie mix (she looks like a d'Uccle, but has extra toes like a silkie), and she's about ten or eleven years old now. She has many behaviors that raise questions.

When she was a few years old, she decided to go and nest in our laundry room. In the laundry basket, specifically. She behaved like a broody, but the thing was, she had no eggs. She was certainly capable of laying eggs, but for whatever reason she was not interested in doing so in her laundry basket. If we put eggs underneath her, she'd push them out from under her and leave them in the cold. She only went outside once or twice a day to eat, drink, and poop, like a broody. This odd broody behavior (minus eggs) continued for a full year and a half no matter what we did. If we shut her out of the laundry room, she would attack our dog until we let her back in. Eventually for whatever reason she moved on, but still...it was certainly odd, especially that she did it for so long.

She's still a strange bird to this day. She sometimes cackles to herself for no apparent reason, often sleeps outside in strange weather, likes to perch on water dishes, and once decided to sleep right in the middle of a mud puddle during a storm. I was amazed she was just fine, even in her advanced age, despite it being chilly and the fact that she was sopping wet and muddy.

Here's a picture of her:

[​IMG]

I must say, she has become a unique and special bird to me because she's so crazy. I will miss her so much when she passes away. She's such an odd character!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    What an oddball! You just have to love a chicken with character!

3. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Definitely! I never know what strange behavior she's going to do next, and she always manages to make me laugh. [​IMG] In fact, it's raining right now, and no doubt she's probably out sleeping in the rain. Better go put her in the henhouse where she belongs.

4. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    awww...Salula is really pretty! It's the unique personalities that catch our attention! I can't believe she is 10-11 years old! That makes me feel better since I'm a new to chickens (April 2009). and since mine are 100% pets!

5. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of us just march to the beat of our own little drum....and it sounds like Salula has a whole dang orchestra that she dances through life too! [​IMG] What a pretty little thing. I hope she is with you for many more years to come. I heard somewhere once that chickens can live to the ripe old age of 25 or so.....let's hope she does!

6. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Chick-a-roos, yes, I do have a few (four? Or so?) that are in the ten or eleven range and still doing great! Standards don't seem to live as long as bantams, but bantams usually seem to make it to at least nine or so as far as I can tell with good care. Twenty-five sounds REALLY old, but you never know! Some of my birds are still going, we'll see how long they make it. It makes me happy that chickens have a reasonably long lifespan if they're properly cared for. All the more time to have them as companions! My birds are 100% pets, too. [​IMG]

Yes, Salula is definitely a bit...different! But in a fun way, and she's very loved. [​IMG]: I hope she's with me for a long time, too! She's gotten a bit thin gradually, so I think she may be slowly aging, but she's still quite spunky and...well, herself!

7. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Awww, how cute. I'll come back after school and talk about River.

8. chickens argreat

chickens argreat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    So, do bantams live longer than standard sized chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by