1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Crazy chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pequena Bandada, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    My four chickens still aren't sleeping on their roost. Instead, they all squeeze in under the two nesting boxes every night. I hear them stomping around and jockying for space every evening, and all the poop is concentrated there - so I assume they never make it to the roost at night. This seems truly weird to me! Anyone else have pullets/hens (mine are about 14 weeks old) that won't use a roost bar?

I should mention that we bought them a week ago from a woman in our town who had 25 chickens. I don't seem to remember seeing adequate roost space in her coop, so perhaps my pullets never learned to use a roost?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Wow...sounds weird...maybe you could "train" them by placing them on the roost after they settle down? Sorry,am new to this but that is all I can think of.I would definitely try just so they don't sleep in their poo! Good Luck [​IMG]

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    14 week old sleep in weird places, and sometimes older chickens do also (right now mine sleep in the nesting boxes [​IMG] )

They will learn to use the roost naturally, but if you want to speed it up you can place them on the roost at night, also remember that heat rises so it might be too hot on the roost for their comfort.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    The other posters speak the truth! The first night my babies were in the big girl coop I waited til it was almost dark...then carried them one by one out to the coop, placed them on the roosts and have never seen them sleep anywhere else (except up in the rafters, but hey up is up - I'll take it!). They never knew to sleep on the ground, it was like they woke up on a roost...hopped down and went about their day...then just got back up where they came from the next night. Like "Oh, I think we go here in the dark!" I learned that from here somewhere...dunno where...but I know I read it here...

I also locked them in for a few days with no escaping allowed...the first day we finally let them in the run, they just went back in the coop at bed time. No hassle, no fuss, like I had programmed them to do it! I was excited...course my dogs still don't sit or stay on command, so teaching a chicken to roost...PRICELESS! But try setting them there when they are already sleepy...it worked here [​IMG]

5. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    I've always had trouble getting aldult hens to sleep on the roosts as long as nest boxes were elevated...They really just want some place 'high up' so why sleep on a cold bar if the nest box is cozier? But who wants a nest box full of poopy eggs!!??

I ended up taking my nest boxes off the wall and made topless 'cubbies' on the floor. This curbed it fast...They all use the perches now as it's the only high place- and boxes remain poop free!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  6. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Thanks for that info...haven't got the nest boxes done yet....will definitely use that insight. Poopy eggs....eww.Have enough of that in the yard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by