1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ananda, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Ananda

Ananda New Egg

Jun 1, 2007
    Hello!

I'm new to owning chickens and just put my two (Henny & Penny) American Red's in their chicken run, however they seem to have no interest in trying out the nesting boxes or climbing to the roost. They just sleep by the door of the coop. Is this okay?

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    You may want to for a few nights after it gets dark go place them on the roosts they will get the idea. A few of mine took a week to learn I had 20 to do every night! When they get ready to lay place a egg in the nest for the day. They will see it and should go lay there mine still lay a egg or two on the foor now and then.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Ananda, Welcome to BYC. Sometimes they just don't care about the roost till they are older. Normal for my flock, most of the time.

bigzio

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Silly girls.
    They'll figure it out on their own. Either that or you can put them on the roosts after dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by