crazy chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mossyoakmother1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. mossyoakmother1

mossyoakmother1 New Egg

Dec 13, 2014
    So my chickens are nuts. They have a house and a heat lamp with food in, but for some reason they Perfer to sit on the gate on the 4 foot fence. They won't t touch there food unless it's tossed on the ground. It concerns me cause it will be in the 30 ' s and they are on the fence and not in there house. I can't figure out how they get over the fence And get back.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Four feet is not very high to a flying chicken. Sometimes they find something to fly up on and that boosts them closer to the top. The lighter weight breeds of chicken are usually good fliers. You are going to need to stand your ground. If you generally feed them inside the coop - that's where there food should be. If you use an outdoor feeder - the same. Stop throwing it on the ground - they are showing you they are the boss. Are these new birds or have you had them for awhile? If they are new lock them in the coop for a few days so they realize that is HOME.

If you don't want them flying over the fence, make them a chicken run with a covered top.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Drumstick diva has given you some good advice. Even poor, heavy bodied chickens like Orpingtons, Brahmas, and Cochins can make it over a six foot fence when they are determined to do so. They might not make it over your fence if you clip their wings (clipping one wing is more effective than clipping both as it throws them off balance). You will just have to remember to clip them again following every molt or their flight feathers will grow back. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! Drumstick Diva gave you excellent advice, best of luck!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

6. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens[​IMG]!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

[​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by