Crazy Chicks Dont Like Anything

Hey im new here and im a first time chick owner. Do we give them baths? And is it okay to keep them in my house around kids? They aren't sick and there only 2 weeks old.

Welcome! They don't need baths (water) I just replace their beddings every couple of days and top it with new ones alternate days so they won't step and roll on their own droppings. I give them clean water 2x a day, since they tend to poop on their water. "Old 76" is right on kids handling them as long as they are supervised and wash their hands (sanitized)afterwards. One thing to consider in having them inside they generate a lot of dust from their new feathers and sheddings of skin. Noticed it on my first batch of chicks (last year)when I have them in my garage for a month while building my coop. Hope your family enjoy your new flock as we do, we so enjoyed them we just added new chicks a week ago on my wife's request (she was opposed to it last year when I took home our very first baby chicks.

It cracks me up every time I read about someone bathing chickens. I have owned chickens for 50 years and have never " bathed " a chicken the entire time.

Unless you are readying for a show, a healthy chicken should not need a bath. If your chickens are so dirty only a bath will help; something needs improving in the hen house.

Last edited:
So NOT a problem, more just a question about where to start. We ahe utterly enjoyed spoiling our little ladies with love, free range and attention, and now were looking to introduce scraps but they dont seem to like any! I broke up a boiled egg and they turned their noses---my first thought was maybe because it was cold? Then we tried strawberries... same thing. Yogurt, nope. cracked corn scratch mix, nothing. They go CRAZY over the dried millworms we have bought but thats its. They are about six weeks old, so maybe the taste for all things finer will grow on them. Any suggestions on things to try?
I sprinkle feed on whatever thing I am introducing that is new. Usually once they peck the feed off, they eat what is under. Just keep offering. They don't have a "momma" to show them what to eat, so you need to help them some.

Back
Top Bottom