Crazy Chicks!!

risadawn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
Sonoma County, CA
We have 3 week old GBJ's - I call them the Monsters. Today I gave them a bigger box to run around in because there didn't seem to be enough space for them in the first box. I switched the bulbs from white lights to blacklights to put them to bed - them and the Babies (1 week old EE's and BO's) who are in a separate box next to the Monsters. (They got the nickname Monsters because they are SO much bigger than the babies and the way their feathers are growing in - they just looked like Monsters!) Anyway, the babies are all snuggled together going to sleep, while the Monsters, in their giant box, are fighting over the same stinking corner! I don't know what's got them all worked up! I separated them, but then they started crying for the others, put them back together and they start fighting over ANOTHER corner. Separate them again, put them back and they go back to the original corner! This went on for like 20 minutes! I gave up and just hoped that the blacklight would give them a clue that it's time to go to SLEEP. They're calming down, but holy cow! Crazy birds! They'll be quite for a minute or two, and then start up again. The Babies are totally asleep even with all this commotion next door! Oh, just kidding. They're awake now too. Whatever. Crazy birds.

Though I have to say, getting black light bulbs was the best idea EVER! The chicks are actually SLEEPING now instead of just napping for 10 minutes then getting up and pecking around, etc, because all they had was the day/white light bulbs! Poor things were sleep deprived!!

Though I have to say, getting black light bulbs was the best idea EVER! The chicks are actually SLEEPING now instead of just napping for 10 minutes then getting up and pecking around, etc, because all they had was the day/white light bulbs! Poor things were sleep deprived!!

Interesting, risadawn- still have our little chicks (10 days old now yay) on the white light bulb and it is true-- at night they go down into the cardboard "run" I made them and sleep in the "shade" away from the brooder (wire dog crate with lamp attached)-- however off and on they still go up into the brooder and nap in the light just not mostly at night....
I think the black light is the way to go in terms of their Circadian rhythm....

My husband has sleeping issues, so when I remembered that chickens do take cues from the sun and the moon as to when it's time to sleep etc, it dawned on me that the poor things are probably all confused and it hit a little closer to home! Since we put the black lights in they seem to be doing much better at night sleeping. (I switched it out last night at about 8 and didn't go to bed until 12) They were MUCH calmer (except for the Monsters) the whole time. The Babies are sooo cute when they're sleeping!

My husband has sleeping issues, so when I remembered that chickens do take cues from the sun and the moon as to when it's time to sleep etc, it dawned on me that the poor things are probably all confused and it hit a little closer to home! Since we put the black lights in they seem to be doing much better at night sleeping. (I switched it out last night at about 8 and didn't go to bed until 12) They were MUCH calmer (except for the Monsters) the whole time. The Babies are sooo cute when they're sleeping!

I think I was kinda hoping if they were up eating all night they would grow faster and I could get them outside faster ... We have them in my parents' inlaw studio to one side of the main house( I usually sleep next to them but its my choice, I just like them)....

Except that, while I'm not sure if it's true for chickens, but humans grow when we're sleeping, so.... sleep seems important for any animal!

Except that, while I'm not sure if it's true for chickens, but humans grow when we're sleeping, so.... sleep seems important for any animal!

That would be a great new Thread- Do chickens need sleep--- someone told me they have the lights on all night in those factory chicken barns but I dont now if thats true or not...

Well, I doubt the chickens that are commercial are given the best treatment. :(

Thats true but those chickens do grow fast..... Mine will have regular nighty night once they harden off the brooder light-- just a couple more weeks if even that long-- it looks like were back to 90's/60's this week yay! Real summer...

Back
Top Bottom