crazy chicks!?

luluash

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
OK so I'm super new to all of this. Over the weekend I got 6 chickens, 1 of each kind. Thought it would be easier to keep track but now I think I may have put the wrong ones together? Are there certain breeds that don't get along. Maybe a mean girls chicken edition? Anyway, I'm like a new mommy and can't stop trying to fix things. I can't ever tell if they're warm enough. also when they're loud I'm afraid they're fighting to the death, and when their quiet I always think they all got too hot and died. dramatic much. anyway... there's three older and three younger. The sizes are pretty different. the older three are jumping and flying into the other ones like maniacs. Is that okay? Its completely freaking the little ones out. Also, last night they were chirping like crazy and a stink bug had gotten in there, so I put wire over the top. I think that's all for now! Thanks
smile.png

loveourbirds

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
waverly ohio
you should probably separate the smaller chicks, also the larger chicks don't need as much heat. I hatch standard fowl and bantams at the same time and if I mix them in the brooders, the large fowl pick on the little ones.

luluash

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Oh okay. Should I get another heat lamp? Or do you think two bins next to eachother should be fine with the one lamp?

loveourbirds

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
waverly ohio
if you have them in the house, or a heated area you can usually split 1 250 watt lamp between 2 bins. make sure the plastic doesn't get hot enough to melt. if the chicks chirp loudly you will need to add a second lamp.

Top Bottom