crazy coop business

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinar30, Oct 9, 2013.

1. tinar30

tinar30 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    possible culprits.. I have a chicken that's just hatched an egg 5 days ago and then she adopted 3 other chicks. She was broody for about a week before I gave her something to sit on.
    And 3 barred rock pullets that are 2 months and 5 days old.

About a week ago, I found a shell-less egg under the roost, the other day there was a slightly deformed greenish egg (was bumpy and flat in places like a torn up use-to-be paved road) and today I found an extremely small brown egg, about halve the size of my RIR's eggs.

Could my BR's already be laying? When they were about 4 weeks old I introduced them beside the coop in a giant dog cage I covered in chicken wire and a few days later I cracked the door open for them to run around while I was outside. Then a few days after that they decided to sleep in the coop on the bottom roost and have been out of the cage and in the coop since then but I've been keeping the chick food in the cage so my big girls couldn't get to it. I've seen them eat the laying food and the chick food.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    NO! they should not be laying already. I would say that it is physically impossible. If you are having trouble with egg or egg shells, i would say try feeding them oyster shell, and feed with at least 16% protein. hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. tinar30

tinar30 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    I just installed one of those pvp feeders but I made it smaller that has oyster shells in it about 2 weeks ago.
    That was the only time this has ever happened. I've read they shouldn't start laying for like another 6 weeks but a lot of things I've read say sometimes their first eggs maybe shell-less or small ect. And according to the forums here the broody hen shouldn't be laying again for another 2 weeks. Do chickens just sometimes lay really small eggs? I've had the adult chickens for about 7 months and now all the sudden weird things are happening lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by