Crazy Dominique Rooster picking on hen eating her feathers!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zatsdeb, Jun 23, 2008.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    My Dominique Rooster is running around, chasing the Light colored hens, jumping on them and pulling out their feathers from their necks and eating the feathers!!
    He is 4 months old, and acting crazy! He singles out the light colored hens, I have about 60 hens!!!
    he leaves the others alone. Just the white, and light colored hens.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    he likes blonds LOL [​IMG]

3. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    he might be dinner if he keeps it up!
    He is nice to everyone, and people, but not those light hens!!!!!

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    He will finally get tired of those bleached blonds. Just wait till he tries that on a Red ...omg

5. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    well, I thought maybe he was just being weird for a day cause he didn't do it all day yesterday, but today he is right back at it. He seems to single out my brown and white hen, I think she is EE hen.
    I have 2 the same but he goes after just 1. And he still is picking the feathers off her neck and eating them.
    I have never heard of this, I have asked all the old timers I know.
    I always wanted a dominique and now that I have only 1, and it is a rooster, I am afraid that he maybe not be around for long, my husband is ready to put him in the frying pan.

6. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    The feathers may just be loose anyway and coming off in his beak. The light color hens may be the ones that gave in to him first and his brain has associated them with mateing.

7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Recently I brought home two new hens and introduced them to the flock slowly and for whatever reason my rooster did not like the white hen. He attacked her every chance he got. The other hen, which was brown, he didn't bother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by