Crazy easy way to make hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickensista, Dec 26, 2008.

1. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    OK, I've been trying various methods to hard boil my eggs,peel them, and still end up with something resembling an egg. Some success, but nothing I'd want to use for say deviled eggs.

So last weekend my husband asks if I want a boiled egg. Sure. He hands me the most perfectly peeled egg oblivious to the miracle he has performed. Casually I ask him how he made the eggs.

Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Gently lower eggs in with a ladle. 14 minutes later drain and put in cold water so they are cool enough to handle. Peel.

I tried it tonight to see if I could duplicate the perfect egg. The eggs practically roll out of the shell. I have almost intact shells. Sooo easy. [​IMG]

Now, do I tell him how amazing he is? [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] 14 minutes are the yolks discolored? Thats a long time to be boiling. Mine only go in for 6-10 at most.

3. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    I boil hard and then do a fast ice bath , the come out 90% perfect every time. its the ICE cool down IMO that shrinks up the "skin" off the egg.

I go about 14 min too on fresh ones otherwise I font the yolk just a tad under done.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like another to add to the list!

Around here though, if we want to make REALLY fluffy cakes or boiled eggs, we just leave them on the counter for a week or so.

5. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    14 minutes are the yolks discolored? Thats a long time to be boiling

Wildsky - I did use my XL-XXL eggs. They were very hard boiled (like I like 'em) and no discoloration.

t
    s the ICE cool down IMO that shrinks up the "skin" off the egg.

Heather - thats what I thought too. But it rarely worked for me despite using the various methods. I didn't use an ice bath just put cold water in the pan until they were cool enough to handle.

Around here though, if we want to make REALLY fluffy cakes or boiled eggs, we just leave them on the counter for a week or so.

Silkie - I'm sure mine would get knocked on the floor somehow. Counter-surfing dog or 4 yr old. Or my pre-coffee daze...

I'm just happy I can serve deviled eggs to people and not be embarrassed! [​IMG]

6. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    I put the eggs in a pot,just enough water to cover them,bring the water to a hard boil. Turn off the heat.Then cover with a lid,and let stand for 20 minutes. Works great for me.No softees yet![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  7. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Oh my god! I tried it and it WORKED! Look!

[​IMG]

and these were all mixed sized eggs, from tiny Japanese eggs to a giant double yolker! They were perfect. I did it just the way the miracle hubby did! Boiled water first, ladeled eggs in, boiled for 15 minutes, doused in COLD water, and peeled!

I havent made such succesful eggs in years! Now I can finally make deviled eggs. Not a discolored yolk in the bunch!

Thank you, Thank you, and THANK YOU!!

3 people like this.
  8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm going to have to try that then! Those look yummy!

9. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    I havent made such succesful eggs in years! Now I can finally make deviled eggs. Not a discolored yolk in the bunch!

Isn't it exciting! LOL Enjoy those deviled eggs. [​IMG]

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Putting eggs into hot boiling water , don't they crack when you put them in ? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by