crazy egg laying story

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Sep 4, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, so I am watching my chickens and my EE is ready to lay her first egg. She's going in and out of the nesting boxes, scratching around and talking alot. Well, I go in the house and keep the window open, I have never heard them do the "announcement" so I wanted to see if I could hear it. Anyway, my EE "Lightning" is in and out of the boxes. Meanwhile my Deleware "Speckles" is looking and trying to get in the box. I keep hearing this horrible crying sound coming from I thought Lightning (her first egg) so this sound goes on for 40 minutes. I finally go out there again to encourage her, well to my surprise it's Speckles yelling at Lightning to get out of her box (I have 4 boxes, they all like 1). Lightning gets out and goes to the waterer and is standing there very still drinking, looking strange. Anyway, Speckles proceeds to the box, because that's what she wanted. I go behind Lightning and lo and behold she is pushing, and I watched her lay her first GREEN egg! [​IMG] I was so excited. As soon as it dropped the other chickens attacked it, so I ran in to save it. Do you think they would have broken through? I hope this doesn't mean Lightning will always lay out side, she really was trying to lay in the box, but kept getting yelled at. Anyway, I feel so blessed to have seen her lay her first egg. How neat!!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH that is so funny.. My big hen is like that. She has her box and noone can even be in the hen house when she is laying or she throws a fit and chases them out LOL She is a card! She has always laid in the nest box though [​IMG] Even when she is out free ranging she comes running in to lay her egg in the box. She is a good girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by