Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Hello BYC,
I have 4 Plymouth Barred Rock hens that started laying this year. I was getting four eggs a day, then started just getting three but yesterday I got five?? Do hens sometimes lay multiple eggs? That is the only explanation, I have other chicks but they are not old enough and have never been in that coop. I haven't put the two flocks together in the same coop yet. Winter is coming so tonight I will move the older chickens in with the younger chicks & ducks.

Another question, this winter is suppose to be a mother of a winter. I have a 10x12' shed type coop, I have a total of 22 chickens and four ducks. I know that it is crucial to keep them dry, ducks make a mess with water...any suggestions on how to survive the winter? I will keep water inside and out of the coop, I just not sure how to do so that the ducks don't make a mess...

Thank you!

Most likely what happened is that one laid her egg after you collected the other eggs and then all 4 each laid an egg.

Hmm...interesting! Thank you, It never occurred to me she could have laid late evening and then again the next day. I gather eggs around dinner 5-6PM. Hopefully my fourth has started laying again, that would be awesome! We will see what happens today! One day I had NO eggs! Not one of them laid an egg in the nest. I never know what I'm getting! It can be fun and frustrating at the same time:woot:barnie they keep me on my toes!

Hmm...interesting! Thank you, It never occurred to me she could have laid late evening and then again the next day. I gather eggs around dinner 5-6PM. Hopefully my fourth has started laying again, that would be awesome! We will see what happens today! One day I had NO eggs! Not one of them laid an egg in the nest. I never know what I'm getting! It can be fun and frustrating at the same time:woot:barnie they keep me on my toes!
I've watched one of my hens lay at 9:00 at night!

For the water: make yourself a little platform that will sit over a tub, like a litter pan, and cover it with hardware cloth. Put the water on that so they have to jump up on the wire to drink. If they fling water, it will go down in the pan, and you can just empty that occasionally.

For the water: make yourself a little platform that will sit over a tub, like a litter pan, and cover it with hardware cloth. Put the water on that so they have to jump up on the wire to drink. If they fling water, it will go down in the pan, and you can just empty that occasionally.

That is a good idea! So, the ducks will jump up on it? From what I've observed ducks are very clumsy, I can't imagine mine being able to 'jump' anywhere, they basically fall in and out of their swimming pool.

Depends on what sort of pan you find. You could make it quite short, just a couple inches. Or, you can have the water close enough to the edge that they could still reach it with their long necks, yet still have a little area all around where splashes can go. Or you could make ramped sides. Google "duck waterer" and you'll see some pics come up of what people have done.

Depends on what sort of pan you find. You could make it quite short, just a couple inches. Or, you can have the water close enough to the edge that they could still reach it with their long necks, yet still have a little area all around where splashes can go. Or you could make ramped sides. Google "duck waterer" and you'll see some pics come up of what people have done.

Great, Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom