Crazy Eggs... this doesn't seem normal

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CindyMichelle3, Feb 12, 2014.

1. CindyMichelle3

CindyMichelle3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    What happened here? I'm so confused. These are our eggs from our four girls. From left to right we have a jersey giant, black sex link, white leghorn and a barred rock. The top row contains their normal eggs (from earlier this week) the bottom are their eggs from today. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

We have three silkie hens around 23 weeks old, but they didn't have access to the nesting box (it's too high) so I don't think this would be one of their first eggs. Any ideas?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I am confused too......

Isn't your only white egg layer the Leghorn?

But, as to a tiny egg..... That does happen. It happens more often with pullets who are just starting to lay, but every so often there is an "oops" egg.

Of course, maybe you have very clever silkies. ;)

3. CindyMichelle3

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Th

4. CindyMichelle3

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Oops... Thank you for your reply. Our laying hens are about 10 months old. The bottom of the coop is about 3 ft off the ground and I haven't seen the silkies go that high but who knows.

The barred rock lays white eggs, I think she might be a cross cause her body type is similar to our leghorn

5. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    Hmm, strange indeed. We have BRs and their eggs look much like those from your JG, but a little more tannish. As you've noticed, all of the eggs in the bottom row are malformed in some way. Do you recall anything different that happened recently? For example, were there extreme changes in the weather? Has the chickens' supplemental light been thrown off schedule? Was there a predator skulking around the coop? Such things can upset them and affect their laying habits as well as their eggs.
    They do best with an uneventful routine and environment, which can be very difficult to maintain. I have 27 years worth of familiarity with Oklahoma's wild weather and rapid changes in temperature, pressure, humidity, and wind, so I can empathize with you. Chances are your chickens will return to laying normal eggs in a couple of days.
    By the way, do you have a photo of your BR/Leghorn cross that you can upload? I'd like to see her.

6. CindyMichelle3

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Today is the first day above freezing we've had in some time. I don't know if that matters much, but that's the only thing I can think of. Not to say there wasn't anything else, just not that I've noticed.

The only pictures I've had of our (kindof) barred rock are quite old. This was before she was laying, but you can see the leghorn in the picture. I think she has more of a leghorn body type, but these were our first girls so I don't know.

[​IMG]

7. CindyMichelle3

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thank you all for your help! I appreciate the support I get on here! I will post a pic of my barred rock (sophia) sometime tomorrow.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did you get your barred bird? If she's laying white eggs, she's likely a barred Holland or California Grey, something like that. Even if she were part Rock, like Rock x Leghorn, she'd still lay brown eggs.

9. CindyMichelle3

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I got her from a feed store. They were our first chickens so I didn't really know what I was doing. Instill don't sometimes

10. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    Don't feel bad. Often you can't know (or even find out) what kind of birds you're getting from a feed store unless it's very obvious by their colors or patterns. Often they're mixes and not even the breeder knows for sure, especially those that sell chicks in bulk batches to feed stores. At least that's how it is around here —

Me: Excuse me, sir, do you work here?
    Clerk: Yes I do. Can I help you?
    Me: Can you tell me what kind of birds these are?
    Clerk: Yep. They're chickens!
    Me: Yes, but what kind?
    Clerk: Well, to me, they look like little ones.
    Me: (Sigh.) Thank you. I'd like four, please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by