1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyChickalees, Mar 17, 2016.

1. MyChickalees

MyChickalees Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2014
    I don't post here much but, I always read, research, and learn from the info. in this forum! I can't find anything pertaining to my question...so, here is my inquiry! The laying production has slowed quite a bit lately, I know the short days and all, but I have 5 hens that are 2 years old...and I am getting 2 eggs a day! Yesterday, I got this one!!
    I also think someone is laying soft eggs in the boxes! What gives?
    They are eating laying mash, and have an abundance of oyster shells. fresh water...etc
    I give them a few treats once a day....cabbage, carrot slices, broccoli, etc. Nothing crazy!
    What's going on??
    One of my friend's told me to give them raw shrimp!
    Yikes....is this true!??!!

[​IMG]w

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If they are just coming back into lay after a winter hiatus, you can get some funky eggs as the egg machine gets back in tune, just like when a pullet first starts laying.
    As long as it's just one or two, probably not a concern...so don't jump to horrible conclusions too quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by