1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crazy feathers and furry friends

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by crazyfeathers, Nov 25, 2013.

1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hello everyone,
    I started my flocks about 6 months ago. I have 5 buff orphinton, 2 barred rock, 2 banton, 1 white rocks, 3 leg horns, and 1 gigantic rooster named Russell Crow. [​IMG]
    My second flock consists of 2 Deuccles [​IMG]
    1 RIR, [​IMG]
    1 unknown breed "Grrtrude" [​IMG]
    2 Astrolorps, 5 Norweigen Jaerhons, 4 Silver laced wynotts and other furry friends as well
    [​IMG]
    I am crazy about my chickens and I plan on adding more to my flock come spring. I spoil my girls and 2 boys terribly, meal worms, fresh vegetables, scratch, and I even dig worms for them. My buff orphintons don't want much to do with me as far as holding them but will come a running for treats. I really enjoy my barred rocks and white rocks, they are also very good layers. Russell Crow "the roo" is a force to be reckoned with, don't turn your back on him, he's unpredictable but awesome to his girls besides being gorgeous.[​IMG]
    I tell you backyard chickens has given me a wealth of information and I read it every night, I love looking at chicken pictures, so thanks for everyone's tips.
    I have 2 cantons a roo "Cody" and hen "no name" they look so out of place with my much larger hens and Roo. The hen is an unpredictable layer so far only 3 eggs in 3 weeks [​IMG]
    But she is a keeper they all are though. If anyone can tell me what Grrtrude is I would appreciate it.
    I love to decorate our barn, this is where the chickens are kept, we built a very well insulated coop for the older hens with good ventilation, and the younger pullets are free ranging in the barn and also have access to the outside. [​IMG][IMG
    ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6068158/width/350/height/700[/IMG] I will get more pictures of flock. Hope you enjoyed it.

2. I like it

The picture for grrtrude is a little too fussy to tell for sure, but she looks like she might be a type of Americana. can you show me a picture of what type of eggs she lays?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Thanks, she was given to my daughter for free, as Grrtrude no longer lays but she is so unique looking that she has found her forever home with us.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Neat flock. Russel Crow does look huge! Is that a goat is see?

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm not great at identifying breeds, but the cheek tufts on Grrtrude make me think she is some mix of Easter Egger or Ameraucana. They tend to have kind of long necks, so I am not sure, but they come in a variety of colors. A lot of people post in the breed section of the forum to get more help identifying breed. Is Grrtrude the one laying the bluish eggs? Fun Looking Flock you have there

6. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Yep mama "Harley" and baby "M&M" they are stinkers but very friendly.
    We also have pot bellied pigs "Midnight, Sundown" they are babies and a bit skittish
    But we are working with them. We have a hobby farm that also includes rabbits, cats and dogs.
    But my chickens are my favorite, I can't wait till spring to add to my flock.

7. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Nope the no named banton laid the blue/green eggs, but has only laid 3 in 3 weeks, she doesn't fit in as well as the other girls and I really think that she is too nervous to lay. I tried putting her with my young hens but they were very mean to her so I put her back in with the older girls. I did read that bantons are unpredictable layers, she is awfully cute though. I thought Grrtrude was some type of Cochin, but not sure. She is a very vocal chicken and is warming up to me nicely.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    love the baby goat, she found the perfect fit in that container

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Because Grrtrude laid the bluish egg then she likely has some Easter Egger in her blood line.

10. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

Grtrude could be a faverolles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by