Crazy first egg story!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Jun 6, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Not my first egg but the pullets first egg. You read that change will stop egg production. Wrong. It probably does but not this time. A friend comes to my farm & sees my chickens & wants some. We head to the feed store & he buys 2 Dominique's & 1 RIR pullets probably 6 weeks old. Then right at laying age tragedy hits. They disappear. I show up at his house & one Dominique has returned. I rescue the pullet put her in a cage throw her in the back of my truck for an hour are so ride to the farm. Forgot to mention I tell my friend knowing he has never gotten a single egg. I tell him I bet she starts laying. Yup I get to the farm get the cage from the truck & low & behold she layed her first egg in the back of my truck. Anyway even while she was a completely different color & the flock chased her pecked at her. The Dominique still layed eggs everyday & still does to this day. The flock she was introduced to consisted of 10 RIR pullets & 1 RIR cockerel. To say the least she was not accepted. I didn't quarantine her but I do recommend that others do. I Worried about my flock forever but got lucky.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Did your friend ever find out what happened to the rest of them? Glad she has a happy home now.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I don't think he spent enough time with the birds. They apparently escaped & he didn't pursue their whereabouts. Some people just don't get it with animals. I'm just glad I have Checkers it was a tough integration I spent many months helping her. My roo helped her as well & still does. She is part of the flock. I wanted to take the birds from him earlier because of his neglect. Wish I had of but such is life. Atleast, I got her. Here she is when I first got her she was hiding from the flock. She now free ranges with them but they still chase her every now again but they don't hurt her.[​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here she is with her best chicken Friend. I'm naturally her best Friend.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by