CRAZY FOR THE GARDEN TREATS AND ONE BIRD LAYING BRITTLE EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkymom, Oct 19, 2014.

1. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    my birds i think would eat me if i layed down in the pen, hehe, mom is putting up all the veggies from the garden and bushels of cut scraps come to the birds, [​IMG]well i get the pics in wrong order, the roo is still stuck in coop alot, his t.v. dinner pic is down the line, 2 days in a row i washed eggs, one bird is laying thin shelled egg, will oystershell be enough calcium? i can get a bag in the morning, or should i get a supliment of another kind, never had this problem before, i didnt think anything of it yesterday but today again the egg broke when i rinsed it????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oyster shell would be helpful with the brittleness. Eggs don't have to be washed. Washing eggs takes the "bloom" off that protects the inside of the egg from bacteria. If your eggs are dirty when you gather them, you can change out the nesting box material more frequently and use just a dry washcloth to get most "yuck" off (or a very fine grade of sandpaper for when they are beyond just wiping).

In case you're interested, here is a link that shows photos and explains the cause for egg quality problems:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

3. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    thanks, i do clean the nest boxes every other day, all eggs were clean till i got coop bound rooster a week ago or so, my girls all lay in one box and roost and poop in the others, was working good but now the roo roosts right over eggs and poops on em, never had to clean eggs, but now their really crappy, i will get the oystershell tomarrow and go back to the link you sent, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by