crazy hair

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ponygirl454, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ponygirl454

ponygirl454 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    under your bed.
    ok so i hav very thick curly/wavy hair that has waaaaaaay to much body. ive tried billions of products and none hav worked. i want to keep the curlyness just hav it be less puffy. any ideas? my hair is driving me carzy its always insane [​IMG]

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I usually have mine braided. Also, I only wash mine every other day. Give it a day for oils to build up and it actually keeps it more manageable, less "poofy." I know people nowadays people shower and wash hair every day, but honestly it doesn't need to be washed that much.

My regimen (assuming I'm not getting filthy dirty where I really would need to wash hair this much)

Sunday: Shower, wash hair in evening. After an hour or so, brush and braid.
    Monday: Hair stays in braid, shower in evening without washing hair
    Tues: Let hair out of braid, brush. Rebraid or do hair in a different style. Shower and wash hair that evening. Brush and braid after about an hour or so.
    Wed: Repeat of Monday

And so on

I have very thick, wavy hair, naturally golden brown with blond highlights. Though I don't consider myself pretty (broad face and large nose), I do get a lot of compliments on my hair. It falls halfway down my back now and it actually used to be a lot longer. I don't use any product on it at all.

It's been very humid here in Michigan lately (5" of rain in one week) and my hair has been a little more unruly than usual.

3. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    [​IMG]

This isn't the best picture of me (I had had a few beers after the graduation ceremony) but it is the best "hair" pic I have

4. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Sounds like you have my hair problem...

[​IMG]

I use really good smmothing shampoo and a curl conditioner. I have to switch between Herbal, Garneir, and something else because after a couple months of using the same product my hair actually builds up resistance and the product stops working. Smoothing cremes, Frizz Eaze, smooth/shine sprays, curl construct mousse, curl defining creme gel and LOTS of anti humidity hair spray. I can't afford the high dollar stuff or I'd buy all Redkin product (if you can afford it BUY IT!). Otherwise it just seems to be a matter of finding the right combination of stuff. It's kind of like a cooking recipe only for your hair. Good luck!

5. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Do NOT blow dry it. Try washing it, with conditioner and then letting it dry, hanging over your shoulders. Once it's dried out, fluff it a little and get it how you want it. If it starts acting up, spray a little more water on it to settle down the frizzy ones. Works for me.

6. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I towell dry mine and work all the chemicals in while it's still damp and hairspray as it air dries. It gives my curls the wet look

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner and then after rinsing I put just a little bit of conditioner to smooth over my hair and leave in. Then I towel dry, comb through about a nickel sized amount of Matrix Biolage hydra-seal leave-in creme and let it air dry. Then I fluff as I wish. I use conditioner as shampoo every other day.

8. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    You might want to try Paul Mitchell's Leave-In conditioner ( blue )- - it is fantastic!

I also use it as a skin moisturizer just out of the shower [​IMG]

9. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Wow Michickenwrangler! It may be hard to handle, but you have some beautiful hair there! Lucky you![​IMG]

10. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Thank you

Again, I am going to emphasize that it is all natural. Never been dyed, only rarely in my life have I ever used "product" on it--no creams, no cremes, no oils, mousses, sprays, enhancers, etc ... And I use cheap shampoo too! Suave Moisturizing. I'm of the theory that less is best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by