Crazy hen has been sitting on eggs for since mid July

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eman, Aug 17, 2008.

1. eman

eman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Burton, Ohio
    I have a hen that has been sitting on eggs since mid July. The problem we are having is the kids took some of the eggs some time at the end of July when she got up to eat and mixed it with some of the other hens eggs. What a mess... More where laid but I am not really sure how old each egg is? If another hen lays an egg in her nest she will break the egg.

I tried to candle the egg but they are too dirty to see anything. This morning it appear one was hatching but it was rotten

My question is, will she know if an egg bad or not? or is she just crazy? Should I remove them?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would wait until dark and candle the eggs again. If you don't see signs of life I would break up her nest and toss the eggs. Don't let her sit any more. Lock her up if you have to in order to break the brood. Block the nest or fill it up with jugs of water. They can be stubborn. You just have to be more stubborn. It is not uncommon for a hen to sit on rotten eggs. This is where you as the responisble party in raising a domestic animal does what is best for the over all general welfare of your hen and flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by