Crazy Hen Hogging Nesting Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FutureFarmGal, Aug 30, 2016.

1. FutureFarmGal

FutureFarmGal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    One of my hens is really weird, she will lay her egg and then all throughout the day she just goes into the other hens nesting boxes while they're laying. She kicks them out and they get all upset and squack and then she leaves. Anyone know why she might be doing this? Something to do with pecking order? Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is she your dominant hen? How old is she?

3. FutureFarmGal

Feb 7, 2016
    They all are 6 months old, and all seem to get along pretty well except for when it comes to the nesting boxes, so I don't see to much of a pecking order. I have 8 boxes and 11 hens but she'll kick them out from any box.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's pretty normal behavior at that age. They sometimes get a bit goofy when the first start laying and for a few months after, whether it's hormones or a new found sense of responsibility that they are feeling, only they know. She should calm down after a bit as it all becomes routine.

5. FutureFarmGal

Feb 7, 2016
    Oh okay! Thank you so much oldhenlikesdog!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If she's interfering with the other pullets laying, I would be tempted to put her in a wire crate right in the coop for a little time out so the other girls can get on with their business.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I had a hen that did the same things...She would wait till my other hens would lay in a certain box and then she would sit for two hours or more after she laid her egg...She never was a broody hen at all, but loved to lay on eggs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by