Crazy hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenpal147, Jul 22, 2013.

1. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a hen that keeps going after one of my roosters. She chased him out of the chicken coop and made an angry noise as she did this, the rooster ran from her, but she still chased after him until I chased her away, and earlier to day she chased him away from some treats. This is the only chicken she goes after other than that she is fine with the rest. I don't know what to do with her, and I can't get rid of her because she is our only hen that is old enough to lay eggs. She started to do this to the rooster a few days ago but she has been fine with him the last few months. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Just to let you know the rooster does nothing to her he just minds his own business, also can't get rid of him because he does a good job protecting my flock, again what should I do?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You say this is the only hen old enough to lay eggs? How old is the rooster? Are all your other chickens fairly young? It is pretty common for hens/pullets to chase off uppity roosters that are younger then they are.

3. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    The one rooster is 5 months old and so are my other hens and the other roo is a year old, I have one hen that is about 2 months old ( not with the older chickens) and the hen that is being a bully is a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by