Crazy how things work out sometimes...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by goatkeepers, Aug 27, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Well, just got home from work and saw that a few of our neighbor's goats were out. So I walked down to where they were in a strip of grass between his pasture and ours. I cornered them there when I all of a sudden saw a dead chicken on the ground by my feet and not far from it, a nest with four eggs in it! My heart started pounding. Our neighbor has several little bantams (mixed) that free range and it was one of them. The weird thing is, that it looks like it just "died". No blood or loose feathers around it..... I picked up the eggs and put them in my shirt and quickly lead the goats into their pen. In the house, I turned on the incubator and candled really quick. All four are fertilized and look like they are at day 4. I thought I saw movement in one, but that might've just been me shaking so badly. [​IMG]

This is crazy, I can't believe what a weird coincidence this was.... I'll update in a few days when I know if the embryos are still alive. Just wanted to share the weirdness of this. [​IMG]
    The goats got out to show me that I needed to save these eggs! lol [​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I hope they hatch. The neighbors were probably broken hearted that they lost one of their bantams.

3. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    What a weird thing that something would kill the hen and then leave her and the eggs [​IMG] Do you think you or the goats scared the perpetrator off?

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    What good goats! [​IMG] Joking aside, I hate that the momma was dead. [​IMG] Glad that you might possibly be able to save her eggs though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by