Crazy Idea: Staircase Run/Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Joz, May 12, 2011.

1. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    So I've got this wacky staircase at the back of my house. It used to serve each of the two halves of the yard, as the house is a double shotgun. I've removed the separating fence, so the second staircase is redundant, and I've wanted to remove one, but now......

What if I add a bit of framing, and enclose the whole under-stair area with hardware cloth? Maybe put some metal roofing under the landing/stairs to keep the space drier?

There's already a curb on the house side, and if I dug out a bit I could fill the area with sand. Assume the girls would nest under the lowermost steps, and install a flip-up stair tread for egg collection.

Whaddya think???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I think the area has potential . I have seen some before under tha stairs designs, it can be done ! Keep us posted with pics !

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I think that is an excellent plan! Enough room under the landing to put a human door as well. Plus I think it would make that area a lot more attractive as well [​IMG]
    Oh...just noticed the grill....don't use that to cook chicken on..might make em nervous [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. Joz

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    In theory the grill will be moving upstairs to the porch (and the futon will move inside and become the couch, and the siding will be moving back up to the side of the house.....). The whole house is a work in progress at the moment, so it all looks quite awful. [​IMG]

5. blitzcat

blitzcat Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I just built my run under the staircase, but I still built the coop stand alone. I had planned to put the coop under the stairs but reconsidered: eventually the outside stairs and porch will need to be replaced. Where would I put my chickens during the process? Also it seemed silly to build a waterproof roof right under the deck for them.

6. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    might be leaky in the rain...

there's probably some way you could fix that; maybe by making a "roof" under the steps

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    X's 2

8. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    he already said he was going to put a roof under the stairs and landing.

9. Joz

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    Our most extreme winter temps are approx. 31* for a couple hours on maybe 4 days. 9 months out of the year we're too hot and too humid.

So... I'm not going to have a "coop". Just a nice open breezy run.

In winter, the house will be blocking most of the wind. I'll maybe put up a couple of siding panels to make a more enclosed area to roost in at night, but overall I'm going with the "open coop" philosophy.

10. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Quote:o i c

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by