Crazy in Love! Our chicks arrived today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SewingDiva, Jun 17, 2008.

1. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

One day early in fact - and right in the middle of our annual shareholder meeting! My husband called and I ran home to set up the brooder!

Anway - for those folks who might be wondering how My Pet Chicken ships as few as three chicks, this is what the box looks like:

The top sort of snaps on, and it's a box that really can't be placed any way except up on a surface. The green gel is something they eat while in transit I believe, and under them is a heating packet (it was still warm when I opened the box.)

[​IMG]

We by no means live in a rural area; they were delivered to the main city post office at 770 Massachusetts Ave. in Cambridge MA, and the nice postal workers knew exactly what to do - no surprises.

So here they are in their brooder, which is just a watermelon box from Costco that they will give you free for the asking:

[​IMG]

My husband has been interested but not quite as quivering with excitement as I've been while waiting for them to arrive, however now that he's seen them he is, of course, a total marshmallow!

The adventure begins.... [​IMG]

~Phyllis

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    wow the addiction begins I got my 8 chicks last october now I am up to 12 and 2 were roosters and 2 were mean so they got new homes. I am getting a few more pullets at the end of the summer. Have fun with your first little chicks their great ! [​IMG]

Henry

3. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Wow, i wondered what the green goo was in another photo i saw it in...thanks for clearing that up! Looks like they're packed really well, i'm glad they all arrived safe and sound [​IMG]

That's a lovely big brooder for them, too! What breeds have you got? Good luck with your new babies [​IMG]

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Awww they are so cute! I am waiting on a MPC order due in July. SOO excited!

What kind of babies do you have there?

5. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

We have:

1 Buff Orp
    1 EE
    1 Australorp

...and that is pretty much the pecking order too from top to bottom. We are total newbies so I went with breeds that seemed easy for rank beginners.

I've never seen my daughters so excited - they called all of their friends right away! They have wanted pets for a while now, and both of us work full time, so chickens I think will be perfect. I'm pretty confident they will be good about caring for them because last summer they spent three-weeks at at Girl Scout sleep away camp horseback riding, and if they can muck out a stable then three chickens will be easy!

DH is already saying we should have bought more...and I think I agree!

~Phyllis

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Wow, that shipping box seems very big and comfortable for those three chicks. [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

VERY CUTE!

I LOVE that brooder! [​IMG]

8. katbird

katbird New Egg

Jun 4, 2008
    I've got MPC babies coming my way in July, too.

I can't wait - we're city folk and all we can have is five...so I hope I don't get too addicted. We'll have to move!
    [​IMG]

9. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    My order from MPC arrived first thing this morning, and when I took the top off the box, all the girls were up, lively, and ready to leave! I love the shipping method. The little heat pad was still warm, and no one looks the least bit stressed.

MPC is a bit more expensive in the end, what with express shipping and the heating pack, but wow, what a much better way for the babies to travel. The post mistress much prefers handling MPC orders. She was telling me this morning about a guy who ordered a bunch of pheasant chicks and because the company sent them priority rather than express, several were dead on arrival. Very sad, and unnecessary.

10. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    I'm still waiting for the call from the Post Office.... MPC shipped Monday for me and no call yet.... I'm getting nervous...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by