Crazy in love with Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SherryLynn51, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Do I let him back in the flock hope for the best?

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. How long should I keep him out of the flock?

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SherryLynn51

SherryLynn51 Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Kentucky
    Hello!
    I'm so thrilled to find this wonderful community.
    My name is Sherry Lynn and I'm the proud owner of 4 Plymouth Rocks, 3 Amberlinks, 3 browns, 3 comets, 4 Americaunas, 1 Asian, 1 Australorp, 1 Indian Blue Runner duck, 1 brown duck, 1 Pekin duck, 1 silkie, and 2 Polish.
    I started out around 5 years ago with just 3 chickens and 1 duck that is a huge pet. Now I'm a bit overwhelmed because my babies won't be full grown until October and I'm figuring out that I have 5 Roosters.
    My biggest and prettiest Americauna Rooster got attacked 3 days ago. He isn't aggressive so I'm not sure if it was one of my Rock roosters.
    I've come here to learn how to take care of my babies the best I can. I need help ..
    Thank you so much. 20180601_075304.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Sherry Lynn and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

ronott1, 007Sean and SherryLynn51 like this.
  3. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Gone away, will be back next month

Jun 1, 2018
    Out North
    My Coop
    :welcome
    Is he the only rooster?

4. SherryLynn51

SherryLynn51 Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Kentucky
    No, it seems as though we have 2 Rock roosters, and 2 Americana roosters. I forgot to mention we also have a bantam rooster also.
    A friend gave me nine babies so we didn't know what they would be.
    Now the young roosters are starting to challenge one another. Should I try to find homes for some of the roosters and how many roosters is safe?

ronott1 and 007Sean like this.
  5. boz

boz Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Teachey NC
    hi Sherry welcome to BYC I am new as well and trying to better at reasoning chickens I have a lot of rooster and it seems all but 3 are aggressive that is why I keep them out side the chicken run just to many guys for so few gals my lady's are good egg layers and one or two are trying to brood will at lest one is now. I hope she does a good job and I really think she well this is not the one setting right now!!
    stay away from my corn.jpg

6. SherryLynn51

SherryLynn51 Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Kentucky
    Thank you Boz!
    She is a beauty:))
    My silkie and polish are both laying. The younger ones won't lay until August I'm guessing.
    All my babies are free range. I let them out around 6 am and for the past month or so they've been getting along just fine.
    Now my young roosters are starting to fight..
    Im not sure as to find homes for the aggressive ones or wait and see what happens.
    My injured rooster is the biggest but he is very soft hearted. He doesn't like to fight.
    I tried to put him back into the flock this am but 4 attacked him. :/

drumstick diva, ronott1 and 007Sean like this.
  7. SherryLynn51

SherryLynn51 Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Kentucky
  8. boz

boz Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Teachey NC
    you may have to keep him to him self or at lest with a couple of hen I think not sure. I do know chicken are social and need to be with other chickens or birds, as for the other rooster it looks like they are trying to be king of the roost. there is a peaking order even with the hens

9. SherryLynn51

SherryLynn51 Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Kentucky
    That's a wonderful idea.. I'll put a few hens with him today.
    Yes, I do believe the roosters are trying to show each other who the boss is! Lol
    Hopefully Eagle will be the dominant one someday. He is just precious. I've heard horror stories about roosters but he is definitely a sweetie.
    Thank you for your advice :)

drumstick diva, ronott1 and 007Sean like this.
  10. Unexpected chicken lover

Unexpected chicken lover Crowing

Mar 9, 2018
    Arkansas
    :welcome
    Glad you decided to join the party!! There are so many knowledgeable folks here willing to answer any/all questions. We share stories, laughter, and sometimes grief...it really is a big happy family. Jump right in any enjoy!:highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: