1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy little (aggressive) Japanese Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyhensny, Apr 27, 2009.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

He is the most polite little guy around humans-he just will not get along with any of the other chickens. All of which are LARGE breeds. Even the hens he gets his little neck feathers stuck up! I have him, and his g-friend in a samll coop and run separate from the others but he tries to fight through the fence! He is getting himself cuts on his comb and wattles. WHY! Kevin (daughter named him) is so nice to us, just cannot get along with other chickens. Any ideas? Also, my daughters won them at a poultry school, never had banties before. He was a show bird.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have heard the Japanese are agressive by nature.. I wouldguess he knows he ccan't woop you so he goes for who he can...

3. happyhensny

I have had to put hardware cloth over the fencing on his tractor. Little bugger! He is so friendly with EVERYONE HUMAN! Hmmm... now that I think of it, I know alot of humans that can't get along with their own kind either! [​IMG]

4. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    I have 2 Japanese roos and have found that their bark is usually worse than their bite. They harass (and win) with my Giant Langshan roo, who is about 4 times their size. He is laid back and just avoids them. They are fine with each other, but have a strict pecking order. The really are blustery little guys but I haven't had them do any significant damage.

Leah

5. happyhensny

His name is Kevin and he loves to have people hold him and carry him around!

6. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I have 10 little japs in a huge pen with 5 belgian quail they are 7 weeks old

I have a blast watching this one little jap roo he just runs and jumps on the back of the others.
    He doesn't hurt them and some of the hens actually take him on and fight.
    But he will run up to the belgian quail and puff up his chest [​IMG]

He will puff out his chest and peck them on the head then throw up his head and let out a shrill of a crow [​IMG]

7. happyhensny

Aren't these little guys funny! I have a Americaun Roo that is so mellow he lets the kids carry him around. [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I was told that they were originally bred as a fighting breed. I have a Janpanese Bantam hen, and she is really sweet. But she can hold her own, if need be. [​IMG]

9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have 3 japs that are just 1 1/2 wks old. So far they are all laid back. I'm not seeing the usual roo chick behavior. I wouldn't mind if they were all hens.

I have 20 more straight run Jap chcks shipping in 2 weeks, I'm sure there will be sufficient number of roos in that batch.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I think they are just adorable. My little japanese is my 12 y/o daughters, and she just loves her to pieces!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by