Crazy Lurker from Sunnyvale, CA joins up!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChicChicks, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ChicChicks

ChicChicks New Egg

Aug 14, 2012
    I've wanted a few hens for 10 years, but allergies to feathers kept me away from chickens. I "outgrew" my allergies, my neighbor got chicks and I started longing for my own hens. My neighbor told me about this site and you know you've got the bug bad when you're reading about chickens at 1:30 in the morning.

I decided that I wanted happy, healthy hens from good bloodlines that were nice and laid pretty eggs. I started out wanting 3 hens. 2 Black Copper Marans and a Buff Orphington. Then I fell victim to Chicken Math and ordered 3 straight run Cottage Hill BCMs from Heaven Sent Ranch plus 2 Cream Legbar girls(blue eggs) a Welsumer girl and 3 straight run Lavender Orphingtons for Deann at Just Strutting Ranch. I figured that would give me about 6 hens which I have the space for in my small downtown yard.

Chicken Math can really sneak up on you though. I won't bore you with the complicated story but 8 BCMs are arriving wednesday (a week earlier than originally planned) and 2 weeks later I'll get the others. In normal math that means 14 chicks.
    What am I going to do with 14 chicks? Do I need a second heat lamp? Can I have them all in the same brooder?

I'm happy and scared at the same time. I know I'll be able to sex the BCM's by 6 weeks (I knew a cockerel that crowed at 4 weeks). Debi suggested I raise any extra pullets to point of lay (in BCMs that means 5-6 months). That means that I'll be able to sell off the extras and get back to a more manageable number.

But what do I do in the meantime? Do I have to rebuild my coop? (3x4 henhouse with attached 4x9 run and 200 sq ft.yard) I am feeling kinduv crazy ("Well, 14 chicks-of course you're crazy!)

Any thoughts?
  2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and[​IMG] So glad you joined us!!!![​IMG]
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from Modesto! First off, I'm totally jealous of your chicks. [​IMG] Someone wiser than me will be along I'm sure to address the coop questions.
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I haven't raised chickens yet so I don't have any personal advice I can give you but [​IMG]
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Chicchicks, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I am also jealous of your beautiful birds! Good luck to you!!
  6. ChicChicks

ChicChicks New Egg

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes, my peeps will be quite special! I'm only worried about the number of them and the 2 week age difference. I want to do right by them.
  7. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]
  8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Greetings from Kentucky.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.
  10. Extra Java

Extra Java Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    My Coop
    We are ALL crazy for chickens here, you'll fit right in!

You can sell off your extras or invite them to a dinner party. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by