Crazy mama hen rant!

janiedoe

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2017
East Texas
I love Lucy (no pun intended) but this is the very last time I will allow her to hatch.
Lucy is at least 4 yrs. old. She was purchased as an adult. She is a beautiful and healthy langshan and she goes broody every couple of months. She has hatched quite a few chicks for me.
This past summer she hatched and raised 7 healthy chicks. That was her 3rd time to raise chicks and her largest hatch.
She went broody again when they were 6 weeks old. I broke her but a few weeks later she was broody again. I only gave her 3 eggs because I didn't really want too many chicks. She hatched one healthy chick. One partially hatched but looked like it had been squashed. I thought it was probably an accidental death.
6 weeks ago she went broody. I gave her 6 eggs. One broke. Little by little, the eggs disappeared until there were only two. (No signs of snakes or rats.) She hatch one healthy chick. The other chick was squashed before it could completely hatch.
Lucy has been a great mother, as usual to the surviving chick..until now. It's only 3 weeks old and she deserted it. She went in the big coop and roosted tonight leaving the baby in her brooder. I went out to check on it and found it alone and chirping pitifully. I put it in with the 10 week old brahmas, who hang with the chick and lucy during the day (they still are piling, not roosting). The baby snuggled up and went right to sleep. I hope it will be fine.
I'm not trying to anthropomorphize a hen but I think she is a b**** for leaving that baby. She only seems to want one and then she deserts them before they are ready to fend for themselves. The last one was a bigger and able to get in the coop at night. This one just seems tinier than my other chicks have been, although it is very healthy.
I won't let her hatch again.
I just wanted to whine a little. Feel free to share your own rant if you like.
Goodnight ya'll.

humblehillsfarm

Crowing
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
It's only 3 weeks old and she deserted it. She went in the big coop and roosted tonight leaving the baby in her brooder. I went out to check on it and found it alone and chirping pitifully.

I agree I think she should retire, BUT my broody hen has been a great mom and twice has went to roost and a baby was left outside and couldn't figure out how to get in, but once I picked it up and put it with her all was well. She didn't do it on purpose, I just don't think she made the connection that she should go out and get the chick. Last time she did that was over a week ago, chicks are four weeks old and still doing well and mama is taking care of them. Just sharing my own experience there.

janiedoe

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2017
East Texas
I agree I think she should retire, BUT my broody hen has been a great mom and twice has went to roost and a baby was left outside and couldn't figure out how to get in, but once I picked it up and put it with her all was well. She didn't do it on purpose, I just don't think she made the connection that she should go out and get the chick. Last time she did that was over a week ago, chicks are four weeks old and still doing well and mama is taking care of them. Just sharing my own experience there.
I'm glad it worked out with your hen.
Lucy has done this before (trying to encourage them to roost up high) but not for the night. She has been a great mother to 3 clutches, she just started having issues within the last year. She's getting a little crazy when she hatches. She attacks everything and everyone to point of stepping on her own chicks.
She is definitely a retiree.

janiedoe

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2017
East Texas
Im updating in case someone else comes along and reads this.
It seems I besmirched Lucy's reputation unjustly.

I hatched a few chicks and she adopted them. Lazy me gave her 6 chicks so I wouldn't have to raise them.
She is doing awesome.
When the first three hatched I put them under her along with the broken shells. It was daylight. I opened the box and put them in from behind and took a few of her ceramic eggs out. She had been sitting about a week. She seemed a little surprised but started clucking.
Later I added two more chicks the same way and finally, at 4 a.m. I added the last chick along with its shell.
Later in the morning I removed the other ceramic eggs.
All is well. Lucy has regained her title as "best broody".
20200802_101620.jpg

Top Bottom