crazy mite situation

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by taprock, Oct 17, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

On and off all fall I have found some chickens with fowl mites. I dusted them as I found them and also in the coop. Then every one has been molting and they were easy to check and I haven't been finding mites. Two weeks ago my husband and I were working on the inside of the coop and discovered mites on us. I figured it was because my chickens had been roosting in the eaves where it is hard to clean. So last week I cleaned the eaves out. Put down a thick layer of DE and blocked them off. The chickens were very angry with me but have adjusted to only the roosts and some in the rafters. Yesterday the weather being bad I was bundled up and only took time to let chickens out and put them away, not any time to fuss over them. Both times after I was back in the house I found a mite on me. There must be mites everywhere if I can pick them up that easy. Where do I find them? I went back out after dark with a flashlight to check the roosts and birds feet. Nothing. When I check the chickens I check both the vent area and under the wings. Nothing. What is really creeping me out is I have been getting bites from something the last week and after finding a mite on me I can't stop feeling like something is on me! I'm scared to ask if fowl mites like people!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

No, poultry mites won't live/stay on you.

For a mite infestation, DE probably won't do much. It's more of a preventative. I use Permethrin 10% spray. I'll spray down the runs, coops, roosts, and birds with a pump sprayer. I also use pour on ivermectin. .25 cc for bantams .50 cc for standards. Ivomec Eprinex has zero withdrawl so you don't have to toss the eggs.

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank goodness they don't like me!!

I do have some Permethrin spray so I will go do the roosts this afternoon. How does the ivermectin come? Is it like with dogs you just put it on them? I had just dusted the birds with a Permethrin dust in the past and put the DE in areas that they would be eating or in the nest boxes. I put the DE in the eaves because they are vented and it blows around some.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

I do have some Permethrin spray so I will go do the roosts this afternoon. How does the ivermectin come? Is it like with dogs you just put it on them? I had just dusted the birds with a Permethrin dust in the past and put the DE in areas that they would be eating or in the nest boxes. I put the DE in the eaves because they are vented and it blows around some.

Northern Fowl Mites do like you, here's a link:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

5. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Try spraying everything down with Manna Pro's Poultry Protector. Then get a pest pistol from www.treatsforchickens, fill it with food grade DE and blast the DE into all of your coop's nooks and crannies! This combination worked great for us! We did them back to back. First we did the Poultry Protector, let it dry then immediately the DE. Typically, I toss the dirty pine shavings into the run. I stopped for 2 months, instead opting to put them in the far away compost pile. I figured the eggs could be hatching in the shavings. Good Luck!

6. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd recommend using Seven Dust.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ivermectin comes in a bottle. TSC has it. It's used for cows and I think other large animals. I use a small syringe or eyedropper. It goes on the back of their neck, on the skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by