Crazy morning with my hens (TWO escapes!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Erin K, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    This morning I decided it's too hot and that I need to move the coop to a shadier part of the yard.

So I let my 3 girls out to free range for a bit and moved it.

Easy peasy.

Except I usually get them back in by just opening it up and they go right in. And they don't know where it is.

So I caught one using ham as bait, snuggled her and put her in.

The one somehow scaled the fence to the behind me neighbor's yard. I loaded up my 5 year old and 9 month old and we walked around the block, picked her up and brought her home. She loved walking the neighborhood with us by the way, sat so nice in my arm and looked all over.

But my 12 week old Barred Rock "Baby" was still in my yard. I figured no problem, she's not much of a flighty bird. I thought.

I finally decided it was time for her to stop hiding behind the shed and come in. When I traisped back there to get her she ran UNDER the fence to next door. This hole she went through I wouldn't have thought a hamster could get through. She's not a tiny bird either.

So I (in my wet bathing suit and no shoes) run next door, admit I'm keeping chickens and ask to try to catch her. My neighbor thinks chickens are great and remind her of her home and loves that we have them (all news to me) and opens her home so I can go try to catch Baby.

But she will not be caught! If I chase her too much she can escape that yard to the next yard over and I don't know those people and don't want to chase her down the whole street. But she's holed up behind my neighbor's shed and it's all thorny and stuff when I tried to get back there. (no shoes, bathing suit remember) I did get shoes, but I picked up a splinter and poison ivy and still no Baby. I also got a few ant bites.

So she's still next door. I don't know how I will get her back. I wish she knew I love her and would just come back. I am going to review all my fencing and make it more safe before they do any more free range time.

I'm terrified I'm not going to get her back. Do you think she will come home at night if I don't catch her before then? I've only had her a week so does she even know this is home?

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    First off, take a deep breath and stop panicking!!!

second: [​IMG]

Yes, she will come back. I bought 6 birchen cochin juvenile cockerals last Friday. My dear, sweet and well-meaning husband accidentally let one loose Saturday morning. By Saturday evening, the little booger came back (He had been chased by my husband out of our yard into the woods nearby and was presumed eaten by hawks) and when I saw him he was trying to get back in with his brothers. I have a net on a long pole and with a well-timed swoop, he was caught and returned to the coop.

Maybe invest in a net?

Good luck!!!

3. Erin K

Aug 3, 2011
    She's Back!

And good news, my neighbor loved on her and they think they want to get some too! They are going to come over and visit them later when their son gets home from wherever he is (camp I think).

So that was actually a cool chicken bonding for me and the neighbor.

And we are working on making the fence more secure. Goofy chickens.

She clucked all happy at me like there was no problem with visiting around for hours.

4. Erin K

Aug 3, 2011
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

First off, take a deep breath and stop panicking!!!

second: [​IMG]

Yes, she will come back. I bought 6 birchen cochin juvenile cockerals last Friday. My dear, sweet and well-meaning husband accidentally let one loose Saturday morning. By Saturday evening, the little booger came back (He had been chased by my husband out of our yard into the woods nearby and was presumed eaten by hawks) and when I saw him he was trying to get back in with his brothers. I have a net on a long pole and with a well-timed swoop, he was caught and returned to the coop.

Maybe invest in a net?

Good luck!!!

Thanks! I saw this after I got her back, but it still gives me comfort. And I was totally panicking.​

5. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Just like "losing" a kid monentarily. They don;t know they were lost, and had a grand time! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by