Crazy neighbor- sheep help please!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by annabananaandfamily, Jul 16, 2011.

1. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    WIthout taking up too much time and being too wordy, I have a neighbor (she lives in apt over the garage, so very close neighbor!) Who is just bad with animals. We already rescued a dog from her that my aunt took in and she still has one very sad gsd that is neglected and because of this has behavioral issues ( hes a nipper, and since he is a fairly lg powerful dog, his nipping can be very very dangerous.) She sees nothing wrong with berating the poor dog and beating him whenever she sees fit. We have been working with animal control, but unfortunately she walks the very fine line between legal and illegal treatment of her dog and I cant come up with solid proof...anyway. She also is not a very sane woman- thinks people tap her phone, record her conversations in her home, steal random things from her home just to mess with her, etc.
    Today I came home to find that she has purchased a lamb...one single lamb that she plans to keep tied out in the yard, without shade or shelter. Within minutes of having the lamb here, she let her gsd off its chain and it promptly attacked the lamb (thankfully it did not injur it).
    Well, my hope is that someone here can offer some advice as to what the laws for animal cruelty are in Maine, what might be the best approach for dealing with her, how to help the lamb... Anything that might be useful. I am in no position myself to own sheep atm, and my husband and I have worked very hard to seperate ourselves from her ongoing shenanigans. But I also cant sit by and watch the lamb suffer if I might be able to do something to help it!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    someone here can offer some advice as to what the laws for animal cruelty are in Maine

You said you're already working with "animal control" so you just need to ask them​

3. mothrhen

mothrhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Maryland
    Maybe the little lamb could just quietly "disappear" during the night. . .

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
  5. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    THanks for the link! I will get in touch with them asap. In the mean time, is thwre anything I can do to help the poor lamb? Right now she is saying she is just feeding it hay and grass...bdoes it need grain or anything? It is just the one, I read that it will get lonely and they can get sick from being alone? Dont know how to combat that, any ideas?

6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Quote:Lambs NEED the company of another sheep, goat or calf (if it isn't too big). Grass and hay is okay, however unless the grass and hay is terrific quality many people feed a small amount of sheep grain. Lambs also need a supply of fresh, clean water (they refuse to drink yucky water) to grow properly. It has to be "sheep" grain; other animal's feeds can have too much copper which is lethal to sheep. I wouldn't give it any grain as it has to be introduced slowly or the lamb could get bloat in its rumen and die. I'd just contact animal control, and keep an eye on the lamb.
    Lambs should have a windbreak, or more if it is very young or in horrific weather. At the very least, sheep should have shade in hot weather.
    Hope this helps!

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:x2

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    mothrhen wrote:
    Maybe the little lamb could just quietly "disappear" during the night. .

If I didn't like the way you take care of your animals, would you be upset if I stole them?

We are only hearing one side of a story.

If there is a real problem, calling animal control to investigate is all that needs to be done.​

9. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    I absolutely take issue with anyone who beats an animal. And as much as animal control has tried to intervene, they say she isnt officially breaking any laws and I cant prove she hits him.

Am I going to go take the lamb? No, for the same reason I havent taken the dog- If this poor dog goes, she will replace it with another and treat it the same way. She doesnt think that what she is doing is wrong.
    But I understand the sentiments behind those suggesting she disappear, and I dont think they are being 100% serious about it. There have been MANY occassions where I have hoped to wake up and find them gone. And I cant tell you how mamy times the dog has gotten off his chain and I have thought to myself "now's your chance, RUN!"

In the mean time, I appreciate the help and support of everyone and will do what I can to make sure the lamb and the dog are not suffering. Anyone with any advice or tips on how I might do that are really appreciated

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    get it caught on film!!!!! set up a camera pointed towards the animals and leave it there-see if you can catch anything on film for proof-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by