Crazy New Hampshire Red Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zstrine, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Zstrine

Zstrine New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Windsor, PA
    I have this hen that we got as a day old chick. I built them a nice coop, got several dog kennel panels to make them a nice big run. Now I had to cover with netting because we lost our red sex link to an owl. I have a small 2' x 2' section that doesn't have netting because I ran out. The fence is 6 foot high. This crazy hen flies out every day of this 2x2 hole onto the top of the fence. Walks to the front of the enclosure and flies down. At night she will go back and fly up and put herself back in. When she knows we are home she sits on the deck and pecks at the door waiting for bread and whatever other treat we will give her. As soon as she hears or sees the door open she comes running and will come inside to get her treats. She has become so stubborn that most times she won't take the bread from the ground, you have to hand it to her and she will peck it out of your hands, even if you are holding it 3 feet high. Now she has the rest of the chickens running for the door when we have them free ranging outside the enclosure and when the door is opened. I can't wait til warm weather comes cause my deck is a mess and I would normally keep the hose near the deck to clean it ow since it is warm today I got to get the pressure washer out to clean up. Just thought I would share a story of my crazy chickens

2. aleebama

aleebama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Sounds like she has you guys trained really well! Ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by