Crazy Old Lady Duck Moms

HollyDuckFarmer

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
LP Michigan
So today I went out to do the evening feed + water, lo and behold, those 2 crazy Old Lady Moms had the 3 babies out swimming in a mud puddle. ... Right alongside the rest of the flock. Now today in MI has been nice, 52' and relatively warm. But I thought ducklings needed 90' brooding temps. I'm confused but I did get the babies for the moms to raise. So when I penned everyone up to eat, I noticed that the moms took the babies to the outdoor house and ran everybody else out. So does this mean they are just moving outside? Or should I force them in and lock the door do they have to stay in? One other consideration, since nights still fall below freezing, I'm still using the heated 5gal bucket for water for the adults. I'm worried about the babies near that (drowning)-- even if I put a brick in the bucket, I dont think that would be enough for a week old duckling. What would you do here?

I think that if mom is raising them, everything that we know about brooding ducklings goes out the window. My Muscovy that hatched her's in December had them outside in 28*F at 2 weeks. I don't get nearly as cold as you but we've had a number of freezes overnight and days that didn't get out of the low 30s since I've had babies this year.

I've had 3 winter hatches, one in Dec, 1 in Feb, 1 in early March. I kept them locked in the coop for at least 1 week so they have their legs under them and with the Dec ones, would go out to herd mom and babies in if the weather was bad. I did have a heat lamp in the coop though it is mostly just open so only raises the temp a little.

My mom's haven't ventured too far with their babies for the first 3 weeks or so. But again, the Dec batch was in the creek swimming at 4 weeks old or so.

I'd keep an eye on them. My moms (except one that hatched 1 and abandoned it) have been great. They cover them outside if its chilly and take them back inside if its cold. I have tried to be cautious and after rains would put them up so the babies could dry after puddle swimming when they are under 1 month.

Do be careful with any water containers that are shorter than 12". I learned the hard way after losing 3 of mine the other day. But, if it is taller, I wouldn't worry. I use buckets for waterers for my adults, regular mop buckets. I've never had a problem with them. Actually until this last hatch, I'd never lost a duckling that was hatched at home.
sad.png

JW, sometimes I guess it just happens and it's a numbers thing. I have lost an adult Runner in that same water bucket, so can't help but worry! I just measured and the lip of my electric waterer is only 7" off the pallet step, so maybe not an issue today, but certainly will be in the near future as the ducklings grow. Hopefully Spring will make up Her mind and I can go back to the inverted waterer!

Back
Top Bottom