Crazy Olivia is PLUCKING Glenda Bald! ARGH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Aug 18, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Poufy Headed Olivia, adorable, sweet Olivia has decided that since Hawkeye (may he RIP) isn't here any longer to pluck saddle feathers from, that she must have a new victim-Suede's daughter, Glenda! Poor Glenda is almost bald. She squats (low on the totem pole) and freezes there with her head lowered while Olivia just plucks away. Glenda will soon look like a turkey! I never found anything that would stop her from plucking Hawkeye, so now I have to remove Glenda or Olivia from the flock or find a deterrent. If it's not one thing, it's another!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Now, does this look like the evil face of a feather-plucking fiend??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    pluck her feathers out when she plucks glenda's LOL

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Boy do I feel your pain. I even bought those bits to put in the chickens beak until they stop, but they didn't send instructions so I never used them. I finally moved the bad ones and sold the worst offenders

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She sure is pretty to be so mean.

5. speckledhen

Livvie was my only broody this year. She's just an adorable sweetheart who likes to be picked up and held. I guess I'll have to put Glenda in with Suede to break the cycle and allow her feathers to grown back. She looks awful, but she's fully twice as big as little Livvie. Just proves that attitude means more than body mass in the chicken world, LOL.

6. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    You might try to put in a gallon of Ben and Jerry's double chocolate ice cream, light some sweet smelling scents from Bath and Body Works, put in a t.v. playing Sisterhood of the traveling pants, Fried Green Tomatoes, or any other Julia Roberts movie and see if they will have a girls night out and get some bonding time together?[​IMG]

If that doesn't work take them shopping [​IMG]. That is the extent of me trying to figure out women. [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh geez Cyn!!! What in the world?!?! You are so right when you said that if it's not one thing, it's another. It always seems like something on your homestead. [​IMG]

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Well if worse were to come to worst, I bet you know someone who'd love to rehome her.

Kyle still talks about Olivia and Tux.

9. speckledhen

If I ever decided to rehome Kate, Tux and Olivia, you'd be the one person I'd call. However, I wouldn't take tons of dough for these three. They are usually the best little hens, but Olivia got a wild feather up her vent I guess, LOL. She just has to pluck someone!

10. speckledhen

Thought you'd like to see this:
    Glenda before Olivia plucked her, then after- BAD LIVVIE!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

***Actually, I realized that Glenda is also molting, but Olivia was "helping", ALOT , LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by