Crazy peahen story

J3172

Songster
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Michigan
I got two peahens last year as day old chicks, a week after I got them, one died so I only had that one. Well over memorial day I let her out of her pen for the first time, and she flew up into the tree, then flew away. I live out in the country but, I live on a lake so the houses are close together. Well today my a neighbor was telling me that a guy he plays poker with on the other side of the cove had chickens and all of the sudden the guy was talking about how he had a peahen show up. My neighbor told the guy that mine flew away, anyway went to the mans house and there she was eating with the chickens. I herded her into the coop and caught her.
big_smile.png
I thought I was never going to get her back! Today is such a good day.

That's good news. It just goes to show you never know about these birds. I raised a Pied peacock split to Purple years ago and he got out of his pen. It was getting dark when I got home and he was already in a tree. When I got up the next morning, he was nowhere to be found. That evening a neighbor called and said he had a peacock in his pine tree. I went down ans sure enough, it was him. The next morning I went to my neighbor's house and the bird was already gone and has never been seen since. I hatched that bird on the farm and he was almost three years old.

Last year, a friend had a peacock that was a man fighter and she would not even go in this pen to gather the eggs from the hen. I took her a new cock and brought back the mean one. When I got to the house I just opened the cage and let him free. I had tried too find a home for hi, before I went to get him and no takers. I thought maybe he would run off into the woods and be free. No, two days later he shows back up and does nothing but run around the pen wanting in. After a few days I opened a pen door and he went in. I listed him for free on Dave's Garden and finally found him a home.

So when people ask me how long to keep a peafowl penned before letting them free range, I don't have an answer.

lol this might be stupid question, but is there anyway I could ever let her out or do you think she'll just fly away again?
I was thinking about putting her in with my eight OEGB hens and then when I open the door to let them out, do you think she would stick by them. As of right now she is in a pen with a pair of lady amherst.

As I posted, you just never know. I have never free ranged peafowl in the 26 years I have raised them.

my peacock ran away last year but came back in a week or so....with the flying feathers cut....

Back
Top Bottom