Crazy people at auctions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by oldrooster, Mar 28, 2012.

1. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I was at a small animal auction a couple of weeks ago and saw roosters going for $6-$8 and hens going for $2-$4 no rhyme or reason breed and type (standard or bantam) the roosters where going always for almost 2x the amount asked a friend who goes to this auction and she told me that it's common there and she can't figure it out why. I would understand if you bought 1 in order to fertilize eggs without having breeding problems from brothers and sisters but I am talking about people buying several and all ages. Would someone educate me why people would do this>>>>

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Wow.
    I've only been to auctions where they "throw in" the rooster when you buy the hen.
    Interesting.

3. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Roosters taste good :p

4. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

don't hens taste about the same if not better than a rooster and I saw some OLD OLD roosters going for that money too.... My crock pot works just as good on a hen as a rooster.......

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Now ain't that strange? I wonder if cockfighting is rampant in your area? Or if they have you have a religious groups who uses roosters in worshiping their gods?

6. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

It might be fighting but I doubt the religious because there where just too many unless they needed to make sacrifices year round and needed several birds each time because as I said in a previous post it's that way year round....

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The orientals are the big buyers of roosters here. They say hens have no flavor and rooster have no flavor until they crow. They are either eating them or selling them in the Asian market is my guess.

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Maybe a lack of roosters in that area? Doubtful but maybe.

9. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Perhaps they are reselling to either religious people for sacrifices or to certain ethnic groups for meat but the group of people in the area the auction ring was probably 150 or so people and maybe 4-5 where not white, and I couldn't see who all where bidding.

10. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Plus there is one hatchery I know of that sells rooster chicks 200 for $50. So I figure by the time you pay sales tax buyers premium and transport you'd probably spend as much or more than raising them up from scratch, but I maybe not I don't know how to figure feed costs for that many roosters for about 3-4 months for them to get to maturity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by