1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crazy pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by jak2002003, Jul 2, 2016.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My birds are nuts! I have about equal numbers of male and female, but all the females have paired up together (3 pairs) leaving the rejected males on their own.

Now the single males are not at all happy and are causing chaos in the coop.

This is only happening with my utility king pigeons. The other breeds have paired up normally.

The rejected male kings are now trying to invade and destroy all the other birds nests.

I even have one female king which has become infatuated with a male from a breeding pair of Old Dutch Capuchines.

I have to shut them in their nesting box.. otherwise the female king jumps in there and tried to get the male Capuchine to mate with her, even through he is not interested.. she will keep trying to 'kiss' him and crouching down and she has attacked their squab and injured its eye. She chases HIM around the coop frantically crouching and trying to get under him!! And he keeps running away from her.

This has never happened before.

Its not a big problem. I have far too many pigeons to handle as it is... but I thought this strange behaviour was interesting..

Any pigeon people have any similar experiences or know why this has happened? Maybe the male kings are just not sexy for the ladies.. or they are too bossy?

Also the single female kings aggressive mating behaviour towards a male which is not interested in her is also strange. I have seen the males pestering the females, but never the other way around. She chases him like the males chase the females to get them back to their nests.

1 person likes this.
  2. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Haha! Mine are the opposite - both my King cock and Strasser cock are the biggest players I have, constantly courting other females and cheating on their wives. Luckily, only the females without mates seem interested.

1 person likes this.
  3. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    UNMATED BIRDS DONT NEED TO BE IN WITH MATED PAIRS THE RESULT IS WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCEING IN YOUR LOFT AND IF YOU HAVE EQUAL MALES TO FEMALES YOU SHOULD NOT BE HAVEING PROBLEMS BET YOU HAVE A LOT OF EXTRA MALES

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    N
    I am sure I have actually a few more females then males.

The females have paired up together and don't want the males.

I know they are females for sure... as each nest has 4 eggs.

I know I should not be having these problems... but I am, and as wondering why the females prefer each other to any males.. and also why the lone unpaired female is so infatuated and aggressive with a male from another pair which does not like her at all.

I have 7 proven females... all banded with pink leg bands and all laying eggs.. I have 5 single males which the females won't pair with.

My birds are free range 24 / 7 and they get to choose their own mates. They nest in nest boxes in my old chicken coop.

5. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    after reading this I am very confused you say you know that you have proven males and females how do you know if they wont mate my suggestion get some small pens and put the male and female that you want to mate in each pen till they raise a round of young if you don't want to do this your problems will continue with the birds you have or you can sale some or all the problem birds and start over

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Imjealous of your king pigeons if they're unlike utility pigeons here I'm disappointed in.

7. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They look like this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by