Crazy Pile of Chickens

BlueBetween

Songster
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Near Seattle
what is wrong with my girls? Last night, all four of them, trying to squish together on the little platform I made for their water and food - they spilled their food twice. squawking away because they can't all fit. They won't use the perfectly lovely roost I made them.... so I took their food and water out and then they were all quietly sleeping on the stupid food platform. Sheesh! They used to sleep on the small roost, but they have been squished in a corner ever since I gave them this new one a week ago. Are they afraid of it? They have an exact duplicate one in their outside day run that they use all the time. And yes, they are still in a cardboard box in my living room, it's getting very old. This weekend they move out for sure. Crazy chickens.

hmn, they are 9 weeks now and in the house, it's 68 in here at night. (we are still living in winter with the heat on up here in Seattle - coldest spring in history almost.)

They love to sleep cuddled up together when they are young. I've never had to train any to sleep on a roost as they always started on their own before laying age.

If they're too cold they'll pile up and could smother one or more. But, mine always slept in a pile until they were practically full grown. Even now they sleep on the roost practically on top of each other and they're already laying and everything.

Yes the new roost is throwing them off. Give them time to adjust to the change. Once one decides it is no longer scary the others will try it out.

Chickens in general hate change. It takes awhile for them to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom