Crazy Pin Feathers Keeping New Girl From Flock

VyInRI

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I have a "new girl." I've had her in isolation since November, because she was in quarantine, and then once we were able to take her out of quarantine, my alpha hen went broody & then became very ill, and I didn't want to introduce her to the flock without the alpha. As it turns out, my alpha passed away this week. Anyway, we have been wanting to get the "new girl" integrated with the flock, but she went through a crazy molt, and it seems to be never ending. She's back to being super fluffy everywhere but her head - which literally looks like a pincushion. Do I need to wait til the pin feathers grow out to integrate her? They've been taking FOREVER, and I want to get her into the flock, especially now that they are down one body, but I know they're going to establish a pecking order and I'm afraid they're going to damage her head. It's taking forever though, and I want to start looking for another new bird - who would have to go into quarantine. HELP!

I would go ahead and introduce her. Just keep an eye on them. Usually they don't pick on chickens because they are having a "bad hair day".
big_smile.png

I would like to give my condolences on the loss of your hen
hugs.gif
So sorry.

I am very glad to hear you practice the quarantine process. That is always best. Good job.

Back
Top Bottom