Crazy Polish Pullet

BC Gal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
I have four 2-3mo. old girls (1 polish, 1 cochin, 1 maran, & 1 wyandotte) and the polish is hyperactive to say the least! She does not allow the other three to run or move fast - if they do she jumps on them. What is up with that? Is she just trying to establish dominance? As well, I have noticed that at dusk, it is posturing time. Not violent, but a lot of jumping, flapping, and approaching one another (in each other's face so to beak, I mean speak). Then they all go into the corner and sleep ontop of each other. I have never had chicken this young, so is that normal behavior?

Most of it sounds like what mine (1 Polish pullet, 4 Red Star pullets, 3 Dominique pullets & one Polish rooster) do all day long- the posturing and pushing and flapping and all that. I am sure it is just pecking order getting established. But, let me tell you, my Polish girl is just flat out crazy! She seems to be fairly low on the pecking order, but it doesn't phase her at all. She's far too busy running in crazy circles all over the pen, or wandering away from the rest of the flock and then crying and crying because she can't find them! If I let them out of the pen to free range, they all crowd out in a big mass, except Milly, who will spend several minutes running back and forth along the fence until she finds the gate. One of my daughters gave her the nickname Spazzball! LOL But she's really adept at ducking under the other girls (who are all bigger than she is) and stealing treats!

I have three polish and they are very ditzy. Some of it may be with the difficulty of seeing past all those feathers...but I just don't think that is the blame for it all.

Lol Mak, my polish does all that stuff too; her name is Flo, but Spazzball would fit as well
tongue.png
I do hope she is a she and it is just ditzy behavior
fl.gif
Here is a pic:

65047_chicks_016.jpg

I have 2 crazies. They did calm down some. Lola, in my avatar, almost thinks like a person. She wants to be picked up. She wants to be tucked in. She wants attention. On and on, LOL. She used to be a bully, but she's gotten pretty mellow. She's still a loner in a way, even tho she's with her sister. I love my Polish.

Back
Top Bottom