1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rllupien, Feb 27, 2013.

1. rllupien

rllupien Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
    This is such a crazy story that I felt like sharing. Enjoy :)

The back story: I decided to get coturnix quail for meat, eggs, etc (fun). I hatched out 13 and planned for them to live on the ground with a natural habitat. Well pandemonium ensued with all the boys becoming mature. My mom decided to take some boys and try to have a peaceful habitat ( that's a whole different story). I kept 4 girls and a boy and outside they went. The quail are 8 weeks now(somewhere around that age)

Sunday, went out to collect eggs, nothing new there, and as I was reaching in and one of the females ran out past me, darn!!! I walked toward her slowly hoping she would run back to her buddies, nope, she jumps and flies into the chicken coop door ( solid wood). I thought, out good that will stun her and I can grab her. Again, nope, she jumps and flies about 30 feet and the dogs are immediately on her, I thought well that's the end of that. Nope! She jumps and flies out of the fenced backyard and into the side yard. Again I think, well that's it there are trees and she's gone. I start walking to where she landed anyway, and a hawk flew down and grabbed her! I thought ok, that is definitely it. I turned around to check on my quail ( of course I left the door open in my haste to catch the loose quail) and luckily they are all in their home. About three hours later I had to go outside for another reason and thought, I should check and see if there are feathers or a dead quail that I need to clean up. Well guess what, there she is alive hiding in some tall grass! I got within reaching distance and had my hand like 5 inches from her and she jumps and flies to the front yard near our koi and goldfish pond. I thought, well if she goes in there she'll drowned. The pond has some very tall grass around it and she managed to hide quite well but I found her( slightly in the pond) and finally caught her!

She had a small scratch under her wing but that's about it. She's still alive but is definitely more skittish. I might clip some wing feathers because of this experience. Haha.

2. steveovergard

steveovergard Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    thats a crazy story. We like it. We had a problem with a hawk too...for a while

3. rllupien

rllupien Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
    Well, the hawks around here like to build their nests here too. So it's just an ongoing issue. I can't believe it didn't get her though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by