1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CRAZY Question here...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, May 4, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Alright i am a begginner at this so i do not knwo anything so I was wondering my chicks might have mites( see thread "leave the feet alone!" for anwsers please, need them!) and i was told to put vaseline on them... and i got a coupke lkaughs but whats is vaesline and what can it be used for? I wanna know everything about it!

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Vaseline is petroleum jelly, found at any drug store or grocery. People use it for all sorts of things. I have used to so that adhesives don't stick to the skin, and around the hair line when dying my hair. I have heard about people using it for lotion, but I don't know about that.

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    what can it do for chickens?

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Rub lots of it all over the chickens legs and the Vaseline will smother the mites . Coat the legs really good

5. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Mites are insects. Insects breathe through small openings in their bodies. Vaseline applied to your chickens legs blocks the openings the insects breathe through, thereby suffocating them. You can find Vaseline at any drug store, and it is a very cheap fix for the mites! Just ask the clerk or pharmacist where to find it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by