Crazy roo gets put down on Mothers Day. That was unplesant.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egg Rookie 2010, May 9, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    My 13 week old birds are so fun. My EE roo who is the boss around these parts has decided to really pick on everyone the last few days. I saw him rip feathers out of one bird then turn right around and chase someone else. My Cochin roo has chased after him a few times in disgust. Yesterday afternoon I went out to look what color legs 2 birds had to make a different post and saw one of my Rhode Island whites with a color of blood on her. On close inspection she has a hole the size of a dime on the back of her neck with bone and blood vessels exposed. It was not going to be possible for me to doctor her. I knew who did it. I asked DH to put her down and as he was doing that he saw Johnny Ringo attack someone else. So good bye Johnny. Have fun at summer camp. Two chicken dinner tonight I guess. Im not happy. The kids FREAKED out. They didnt see it (they are 3 and 5) but didnt like the idea. Im not telling them we will eat them. So sad. Now my Cochin is the only boy left and he is the only one I got on purpose so I hope he steps up and is a good boy.[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sometimes it has to be done. Sorry for your losses.

Don't feel too bad. I had to cull my favorite hen yesterday. I have been losing eggs for some time, and found evidence that there was egg eating going on. I discovered the culprit after watching the birds for a few hours. My favorite old lady was raiding the nesting boxes and eating 3-4 eggs a day and breaking a couple in the process. I have been putting off culling my old ladies because I really liked this one girl and didn't want to mess with her sub-flock. Seeing her eating or just breaking all those eggs hardened my resolve and I ended up doing a long overdue culling. My oldest flock members were all processed yesterday. I didn't feel great about it, but we have several meals worth of meat, now.

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Hmmm...I have read that after the old gals are spent on laying they arent any good for meat! It doesnt sound like you have found this to be true. Ill keep that in mind.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:They aren't as tender, but they make great stock and can be simmered in a crockpot.

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    agree with above poster

there are people who are always on the lookout for hens being retired from laying, to make stew, or whatever, from.

we had a guy that we gave them to all the time, and he loved it (we didn't charge him anything)

6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    CMV has a dandy Coq au Vin recipe that no doubt is also good for tough old hens! I printed it out when she posted it, and it made that rooster quite tasty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by