1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy roost behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So one of the 5 new hens we got a few days ago, the EE, does something every night that gets her pecked over and over. She'll jump up on one of the roosts, next to another bird, and then proceed to start burrowing under the hen. The hen will of course get angry, and peck her, but she'll continue, basically pushing the hen off the roost. Then she'll turn around and do it to someone else.

I've never seen this in my short time as a chicken owner. She's 5 months old, and does it to both the other new ones we got with her, and the ones that were existing here before we bought her. I'd say this behavior gets her a good 20 or 30 pecks every night as the process continues until she finally finds a spot she likes, squats, and goes to sleep.

Anyone else seen this kind of thing? You think it will stop once they get used to each other and they all get used to the new coop?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes, had a 3 year old dominique do it. Broke habit by having her roost alone for a few nights.

3. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Yes! I have a few of the girls that do that and one of my roosters! He a big Buff Orpington and it's pretty funny. I ask him every night if he's afraid of the dark![​IMG] I think they just like the comfort of the nuzzle. In general the others will not peck they just seem to settle down on the others head and go to sleep. I think your girls will settle it soon.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ya its that they are unsettled in the coop and once everything is right and they get used to everyone, it will stop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by