crazy rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fastfrank, Jan 1, 2017.

1. fastfrank

fastfrank Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2016
    whitewater CA
    my 10 month old cockerel androo, gets in a nest box and coos for his 7 girls. what the heck is he doing? they all lay in the boxs...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many young roosters do that to show the hens a safe place to lay. It usually indicates a good rooster in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  3. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea.... New here as well

[​IMG]

Happy new year

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's a courting type of behavior. "Look what a good provider I am, I found the perfect little love nest for you to raise my little chicks. Come lay your eggs here and as soon as you get done laying I'll be waiting right outside to breed you".....

Seriously, that's about what's going through his mind.

I've had younger cockerels get so into "making a nest" for the hen, the hen got totally impatient and literally kick the male out of the nest. She was a mature hen and thought he was making way too big a deal about things. She just wanted to lay and be done with it.

When I let my birds out to free range, the hens love to go to the garbage cans with feed in them. They think they are the perfect nests. My rooster Tom will perch on the edge and call the hens to come lay there. It's a totally different call than for feed, very interesting.

1 person likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Nothing freaks you out more when you are collecting eggs and you come across a strange looking hen sitting in your boxes, it can take a minute to realize it's a goofy rooster, startled me more than once with that routine.

1 person likes this.
  6. fastfrank

Nov 1, 2016
    whitewater CA
    that's what i thought, he's a alpha roo for sure. we got 6 chicks 5 were cockerels he was the dominant one, so a keeper. he takes care of his flock, i watched him go up against 2 pit bulls when i forgot to close the garage door...

7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Like this? A good rooster will encourage his hens to lay their eggs.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Cute[​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My first flock were mostly adults and 4 pullets for free if I took the cockbird.
    First day he was in the nest (good thing I left the partitions out or he wouldn't have fit) for a good 30 minutes just talking away.
    I had no clue...learned later what the behavior meant.....later that day my first eggs.
    Never saw him in there again.
    Later saw a cockerel standing near a pullet who laid her first on a roost board....
    ......and have seen him standing nearby when a pullet begins to lay.

Mister Rooster...my first cockbird...spreading the word on where to lay.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. fastfrank

Nov 1, 2016
    whitewater CA
    androo is a good rooster he really watches over everything...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by