Crazy Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dzer, Oct 9, 2010.

1. dzer

dzer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Mt.Pleasant N.C.
    My rooster is 6 months old and he has attacked all 3 daughters and my wife so there mad at me,last week I found my youngest daughter ( a junior in high school ) standing on the hood of my car crying trying to get away from him.He never acted aggressive to me until last week when I throed some scratch feed down and reached out for him and he attacked me,bad choice.LOL. Oh and why does he start crowing at 3 am in the morning,that is getting old fast.1 roo and 8 hens,barred rocks.Thanks

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Because he is a rooster and his instincts tell him to protect the flock and fight off any competition. Without any other competition, he thinks your family is it. Sounds like you should re-home him, rehab him or eat him.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    You must not let him get away with this.

I'd give him a go at carrying him around under your arm and stroking him in front of your hens for 30 minutes for a day or two if you like him...if not ....'off with his head'

sandie

4. dzer

dzer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Mt.Pleasant N.C.
    How can i rehab him

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You must teach him that you and each member of your family is dominant over him. If you don't think the kids can do that, or if they don't think they can. You should not keep him.

Do a search for aggressive rooster or something like that and read up on it.

Here is an interesting one for you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403955

6. dzer

dzer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Mt.Pleasant N.C.
    emys that's for the redirection,I posted in the wrong place,sorry and thanks to everybody for you help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by