Crazy roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kandooshe, Feb 19, 2011.

1. kandooshe

kandooshe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have about 24 chickens and three roosters and they are kept in a coop most of the day but I let them out about half an hour, my problem is that when a rooster come to mate a hen the other roosters attack him and when the other rooster tries to mate then the two roosters attack him and so on,,, how can I prevent this behavior, because I want to have fertilized eggs .

thanks

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe you just have too many roosters?

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    You have too many roosters. I have 35 hens and 3 roosters, and even that's too many. One is going to be invited to dinner tonight!

Kathy in Bellville
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Haha reminds me of an old horror flick/joke: Would you like to come for dinner? We'd love to HAVE you! *MWAHAHAHA*

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Even docile roosters exhibit this behavior with other roosters. Even if they are nice with each other, they will usually try to get their 'friends' off of any hen they are mating with, even if it means attacking them. If you want fertilized eggs from only one of the roosters, you're going to have to separate them (maybe put each rooster in a pen with a few hens or alone, or just pen up 2 of the roosters until you have your fertilized eggs).

6. kandooshe

kandooshe Chillin' With My Peeps

thanx all

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by