Crazy Sick Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aridout, Aug 1, 2010.

1. aridout

aridout New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    We hatched our first chicks 4 weeks ago - Bantam Orpingtons. 3 days ago, one of them got sick. By the next morning, she was going down fast so we took her to a local vet who diagnosed an upper respiratory infection and gave us some Clavamox to dose her with 2x per day. By yesterday, she was doing much better. I was dropper-feeding her a mix of Gatorade, cooked egg yolk and baby food and she was beginning to show interest in the food and drinking water on her own. She woke me up at 6 am this morning, chirping, and I took her out to feed her the Gatorade mix and dose her antibiotics. She jumped out of my arms and started to run around like the proverbial chicken with no head - totally crazy. So I thought that maybe she was missing her siblings so I put her back in the brooder. She ran from one end to the other, totally agitated, pecking the corners of the brooder like she was trying to escape. After about 10 minutes, she had not settled down, so I just picked her up and held her. That worked for about 10 minutes, then she broke free and started running around the room again - under the couch, etc... Normally, this chick will sit on my lap contentedly for hours but she almost seems not to see me right now - almost in a crazy daze - but chirping and upset. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any ideas - Andrea [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sometimes chicks just act crazy. If it is not hurting itself I don't think I'de worry too much, might just be it's way of acting better since getting meds.
    Has anything changed about it's environment? Is it too cold?
    Gatorade and clavamox should not effect behavior.

If you want it to calm down you could try dimming the lights.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Imp

ETA- Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  3. aridout

aridout New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    I figured out that her crop was impacted. I think that the Gatorade had swelled up the chicken scratch that she was eating and clogged up her crop. I helped her purge with baking soda, massaged her crop extensively and she is doing much better. I also gave her a bit of yogurt and some apple cider vinegar water and am keeping a close eye on her. I feel so sorry for her. Not only to get a cold - but then a stomach ache on top of it. No wonder she was going crazy - from pain and discomfort. I think she was terrified.

Thanks for your advice!

-Andrea [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by