1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy Silkie, or just more mama than I thought?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suess hens, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I had my 3 week olds out in the run today. They love it out there. I went to collect them and they freaked out at having to be picked up (like little kids when it is time to leave the party). My silkie, who was on the other side of the run, charged at me and paced the run. Is she attached to the babies? Or just a weird chicken?

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Being a silkie, she was probably trying to protect the peeps. All I have are silkies, and they all seem to protect all the peeps even when they are not the moms. They are also that way with any new babies I put out there. Silkies are good mommas and good "family chickens", It's my guess that your hen is not crazy, just caring. [​IMG]

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    shes just protecting her babies silkies are so notorious for being super broody

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    This is good to ear because I put 10 buff egg's in my silkie's nest box tonight. I'm going to hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by