Crazy Silkie Wont Stop

trickys10

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
cincinnati ohio
i have a broody silkie that everyday gathers eggs from other nest and starts sitting on them im ok with it cause my bators are full but im not sure what day what eggs are gonna hatch and once the first ones hatch will she continue to sit on the others til they hatch at best i know she has 9 eggs under her and adding more daily

If they are added on different days they will not all hatch at the same time. She may stay on the nest for a day or so after the first ones hatch - any that hatch in that time are fine - the ones that don't will probably be abandoned - even if they are good and have live chicks growing in them. She will care for the ones that are already hatched because they will be needing food and water. You can put them in the bator and try to finish hatching them, but it might be tricky if you don't know which ones were laid what days and how far along they are in development. I suggest marking the ones she has now somehow and removing any new ones daily - they will not be marked so you can tell the difference and not collect any eggs that she has been sitting.

Back
Top Bottom